You should clean your Aqua Bare canister monthly and the black carbon filters every few weeks or up to 6 months (every water source is different, and some cause clogging faster than others). When the flow begins to slow down, it is time to clean your filters. Because the pore structure is so small, tiny particles can become trapped on the outermost surface of the filter. Over time, like all filters, this will cause the flow rate to decrease.
Aqua Bare BB9-2 black carbon filters are not single-use disposable filters, like many others. They last much longer than other filters and are able to be cleaned. Instead of tossing a dirty filter, Aqua Bare filters can be scrubbed and continuously used for about 6,000 gallons.
Here’s how to clean the black carbon filters:
- Empty all of the water from your Aqua Bare system.
- Remove the top container.
- Remove the fluoride filters if installed.
- Remove the Aqua Bare BB9-2 black carbon filters by unscrewing the wing nut that secures the filter to the container.
- Hold the filter under a running faucet, with the exit hole pointed up.
- Using a new 3M Scotch Brite pad, carefully scrub the black surface of the filter element for several minutes. DO NOT use soap or detergents on filters!
- Set the elements aside and wash your hands.
- Reinstall the filters in your Aqua Bare system.
There is not a method to cleaning the white arsenic/fluoride filters at this time, as they are sealed.